Thursday, February 18, 2010

kombucha tea... "mother of acid"


Mycoderma (Greek for fungus skin) + Aceti (Latin for of the acid) = 
"Mycoderma Aceti" or "mother of acid"

Some say Kombucha is perfectly safe, while many say it is the "miracle" drink, while still others say it can be dangerous.  There has not much scientific analysis done on the health benefits of this tea.  But it is touted as a folk medicine, "a remedy for what ails ya".  Either way, it definitely helps sticky foods head down the food tube a whole lot easier.  Not to mention that over ice, this drink is by far the most fizzy and refreshing drink that I have ever made.  That's right, natural carbonation! 
Weather it's the organic acids, the active enzymes, the amino acids or the poly phenols, this drink makes me feel good!  Well into my fourth week of brewing this symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast into a fermented tea, I can't seem to make it fast enough.  

Below is a photograph of one of my "mother" Kombucha mushrooms.  Every time you make a batch of the tea you get another mushroom, a "baby".  If anyone would like a starter mushroom to make their own tea let me know, the refrigerator is beginning to look like a science project.

"
It's best to keep a few of these mushrooms around in case the brewing mushroom, aka "the mother" becomes tired.  You can then introduce a new baby mushroom and let the mother take a breather.  They go dormant when stored in the fridge.  
I decided to get creative with my back stock of these mushrooms by drying out a few of them and making it into a chew toy for my pup, Rio.  Unfortunately, he would have none of it.
I have now decided that the compost pile would probably welcome this new addition.  The photo below is my latest Kombucha brew over ice, ready for consumption!



Most people who see the Kombucha mushroom are generally repulsed in a very primal way.  It is definitely a slimy little condensed mass of creatures.  I now tend to offer the tea without the show and tell.   

It is disputed as to where the recorded history of Kombucha began.  According to some, it was discovered in the late 19th century from the cold water lakes of Russia and the Ukraine.  However, other sources say that the history of this tea-based beverage originated in ancient China or Japan.
My 86 year old grandfather is now a convert onto the Kombucha band wagon.  He says he likes it as his lips pucker.  It seemed to energize him for the walk on the beach today!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment