Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tournament Thoughts After The First 3 Days

-First I'll mention the obvious: The Cats are lookin pretty good so far. I've said for a few months that if they play to their potential then nobody can beat them, not even Northern Iowa. As Jimmy Dykes told us countless times during the SEC tournament, there are only 5 teams younger than UK. There are ZERO teams more talented. When they shoot good, they win. It's really simple. They don't even have to shoot lights out. Just hit enough to keep the other teams defense on edge. I am starting to believe in this team's chances. I picked Kansas in my bracket so I've gotta jump on somebody's bandwagon now, right?

-Speaking of Kansas, how about that game? That was one of the best games I've watched in a long time. They kept comparing it to the UK/UAB game from 2004, but I think yesterday's upset was much bigger. Even though that UK team was the top seed, they still had no big man and nobody outside of Kentucky picked them to win it all. People all over the country were picking this Kansas team to win it all, including the Kentucky fan writing the words you're reading right now. Kansas fans have to be in a state of depression today.

-The Northern Iowa guys deserve their own paragraph. I have became a fan. It's bandwagon, I know, but everybody finds a cinderella team to root for every year. Matt Jones said weeks ago on KSR that we would love this team. For once, Jones was right.** Ali Farokhmanesh is one of the most clutch shooters to come along in a while. Plus his name is Ali Farokhmanesh!! How can you not love this O'Rear fellow down low. Mini white guy fro and mutton chops. This guy is everything Bunch wanted to be back when he dreamed of playing mid major college basketball. Well, O'Rear can't shoot it like the Deh Beh, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. Not many can. Also gotta love that center of Northern Iowa. I can't even remember his name and I'm not gonna look it up. I kept calling him Eitutis during the game. For those of you who know the former WKU/KWC/Sudden Impact/Hype big man, I think you can see the resemblance. I have found my second favorite team in this year's tournament, and I bet you can guess who it is.

-Hey Zahveeyay, how's that Kansas commitment working out for ya? Man I sure wish that guy had signed with UK. I bet he does too.

-Has Rick coached his last game for the Cards? St. John's rumors are everywhere. I have thought for a long time that Rick would end his career as coach of the filthy Cards. That was before he started banging nasty ho's in swanky Italian restaurants, or at least before he started getting caught.

-St. Mary's deserves their own paragraph as well. They are going to the Sweet 16 for the first time in school history. I don't know a lot about them, except that they have a good big man who has been dominant. I remember when they had that point guard Patty Mills. I think he went pro last year. Is that right? Now I can't remember if Patty Mills was a point guard or a good restaurant down at the lake. Oh well, it's early.

-The Sweaty Pearl's of Tennessee have moved on to the Sweet 16. Good for them, and good for the SEC. We all know they aren't capable of going any further, but they've at least kept the conference from looking like a total disaster, which is the only reason I would ever pull for the thugs from "Headband U".

-The lowly Pac 10 is 3-0 so far in the tournament. One of those victories came against our favorite Cardinals. I know Rick hates to lose, but losing to a team named Cal has gotta hurt even more. The slick one has fallen far this year.

-I have failed miserably in my attempt at back to back Revolting Bracket Challenge victories. I have lost 2 of my Final Four picks (Nova and Kansas) already. I truly suck. I'm looking forward to watching the games today. I noticed that everybody in this year's bracket challenge picked either the Cats or Jayhawks to win it all. I guess if the Cats lose I've still got a chance since nobody will have the champion correct. I don't know though without studying it. I'd just rather the Cats go ahead and win the whole thing and somebody else can have the Revolting Bracket title this year.

**I have been informed that Matt Jones is almost always right. Sorry for the confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment